Friday, October 07, 2005

Butterflies, Karaoke, and Expletives

It has finally been discovered! The correct way to dial me from the US is 011.82.10.2273.5309. If you need information on what service to use to dial internationally, just email me because my dear pal Andy from NY has found a reliable one (it works for more than just this country, too!)

This past Tuesday, I began taking Korean classes. They are IMPOSSIBLE! The teacher speaks no English. I understand the effectiveness of learning another language by speaking it only, but I just wanted an overview of what we plan to cover, but I have to review the book to get the answer to that question. I don’t speak Korean to the children I teach (obviously), but they know tons more of my language than I do of theirs. I spend a lot of time each night on homework and reviewing the lessons of the day. I hope that I will be able to get around well enough before long though. All this work better be worth it!! The differences in vowels are so slight that each sound you make is very, very specific. Tya/cha/ja are all sonorously similar, but different letters. The word for “butterfly” sounds like “naaah pee” which reminds me of “nappy,” which is appropriate since Mariah Carey makes herself known for the butterfly. Another irony is that the word for “elegance” sounds like “ooh ahhh” –what do you say when you see Christmas lights or fireworks or something elegant? My class is very diverse though! There are 15 people: 2 are French, 1 is Russian, 3 are Japanese, 1 is Brazilian, 4 are American, 1 is British, 1 is Swiss, 1 is Belgian and 1 is Chinese.

In celebration of the 3 birthdays in the office last week, we are all going to dinner this coming Saturday. Mr Lee said that everyone has to prepare a song. Fortunately, I read about this in the Culture Shock book I bought before I came here. It’s better to humiliate yourself and sing out of tune and off rhythm than to decline. It shows that you like the people and trust them enough to make a fool of yourself in front of them. Could be much worse ways to do it do it I suppose, but I’m still deciding which song to do. Mr Lee said it had to be Korean. He’s SOL with that one—I hope they approve of my choice!

One of my students hollered, “oh shit!” yesterday in class. I whirled around and forced myself to refrain from laughing when I corrected him and told him he could not say that in class—it only prompted questions from classmates as to what he’d said, so they kindly spelled it out for one another. But he used it correctly, and in the same way my French professors made us say “ooom” instead of “um”, at least he was cursing in English.


Copyright 2005 Olivia R. Reed

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say hello in Korean, but I have no clue what it is. Anyways, I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I check up on you often, so keep the updates rolling in. I think it's kinda an escape in the middle of my PSC shift.

Sat Oct 08, 02:40:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to leave my name.
-Jake (aka Jacob, the PSC guy!)

Sat Oct 08, 02:41:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Jacques said...

I suggest "Sweating Bullets" by Megadeth. It's a terrific birthday song.

Sat Oct 08, 05:31:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home