Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Adventures in the Aisles

I went to the grocery store this morning. I decided that it was time to brave the smelly world of the meat department and take a risk with buying what looks like ground beef. On my journey through the fish with heads and eyes, I encountered another potentially scary group: toddlers! About 25 snotty-nosed rugrats trailed through the grocery store, all of them wearing large, stuffy coats that made them resemble waddling marshmallows or the Michelin man. What kind of field trip this was is beyond me—I mean, who explores the grocery store at 4 years old and expects to learn something? Regardless, when they reached this big whitey, all marching came to a stop. They began asking each other as well as their teachers if I was English or Russian. I never heard American, so I cleared it up for them. “Ahhh,” one said. Then one of the teachers bent down and whispered something to them, and all at once, two-dozen little mouths said, “Hiiiiiii!” It was too cute!

Speaking of the grocery store, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the promotion girls they have here. It begins outside, with some loud music that makes you think the Girl Scouts are there, Thin Mints in hand, ready to collect your $3.50. There’s a woman in a nice khaki-colored skirt suit that resembles a flight attendant. She has a silly hat on, but it goes with the attire. She’s speaking Korean and I guess telling everyone what’s available that day. As you walk into the grocery store, another flight attendant-looking woman greets you with some words that mean hello and something else. They bow down, hand you a hand basket if you aren’t pushing a buggy, and then give you their coupon magazine. So this all seems a bit silly, but it’s nothing yet. When you walk through the food gates, it’s like a cheerleading squad. There are all sorts of young women there in costumes. Some are traditional Korean hanboks, which is what they used to wear normally, but now only for special occasions. Some are just there to cook your regular promotional food (like the stuff I buy and cook myself without knowing what it is) and are in the chef’s outfit, and some look like they are about to jump several feet in the air and do a toe-touch. They have little pleated skirts and matching tops, just like someone you’d see on the sidelines of a sporting event. But the clincher is these things they have covering their shins. From knee to ankle is this white piece of material that makes them look like a Clydesdale. I know that there are fuzzier versions of this part of the get-up for you to wear under pants when the weather is cold, but what they have on is so thin that it can’t possibly be warm, especially given that their entire thigh is exposed. It ties at the top and doesn’t seem to serve any purpose, including decoration. When you see several of these girls together, it really just makes you wonder. The job can’t be highly sought after anyway, but adding this random part to their already silly costume? And if you’re promoting laundry detergent, is a cheerleader really the one to best reach your target market?

I love wheat bread. My parents got on the Sugar Busters diet when I was still in high school and I can probably count the number of times I’ve eaten white bread since then on one hand. However, I think there’s a trick to it in Korea. The wheat bread is so soft and fluffy and nice here, much like white bread. My friend Amy is convinced that all they do is dye white bread to make it look like wheat, even though it doesn’t make it look grainy. I think she’s on to something. My thighs do, too.

I saw my first movie since I’ve been here on Wednesday night last week. I went to Gimpo Airport, which is just a few subway stops away from school. It’s only $7 to see a movie here, which is nice since it was nearly $8 when I left home. I watched Just Like Heaven, which is with Reese Witherspoon. Not a good movie by any means! It was a total chick flick, completely predictable, acting was so-so, no real plot development, etc. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the escape. There were Korean subtitles, but I paid zero attention to them after the beginning credits. I was a vegetable for an hour and a half, and I loved it!

Copyright 2005 Olivia R. Reed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home