Sunday, April 02, 2006

Infecting and Studying and French... and sometimes all in one!

Well almost nothing makes you miss home like being sick in a foreign country. I 'm now a two-time veteran of this excitement. Having an infection I never before had, I was forced to locate a clinic open on a Sunday. The woman on call for Seoul National University 's International Clinic suggested Seoul Adventist Hospital, in the NE corner of the city, because they had an ailment-specific clinic that was open. My friend Amy came with me, and I 'm glad she did, because the non-native English speaker who recommended this place clearly forgot to mention that they don 't speak my language here!!! Regardless, it was quite an adventure. Each time I had to have a different kind of test run or change made, we had to go to the cashier, hand over the doctor 's orders, pay and get a receipt, and then go to the lab or back to the doctor 's office to wait longer. I think my doctor was sort of a moron, too, because I told him about pain I was having that WebMD (and every other source I checked) said was related to the infection and should be checked into. He suggested referred pain (referred from where wasn't mentioned —pain is pain, as far as I'm concerned) and said it wasn't related. When my RBCs and WBCs were off the charts, he then decided that I might have a clue what I 'm talking about, with or without an MD after my name. All-in-all, the visit cost me more than $140, which is pretty expensive for a country whose general checkups and prescriptions have maxed out at a combined total of $17/visit for me thus far. Hopefully my insurance company will be able to translate all of the exciting paperwork I sent their way and send some fundage my way!

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I 'm studying for a test that I will take here in May. It' s an internationally recognized thing, so taking it here shouldn't be a problem for it 's applicability where I (hopefully) work next. But what's funny is that I can register in Korea to take the test, but they won't take foreign credit cards. I can also tell them to give me the test in English, but all of my email communications are in Korean. Thank God my boss is so willing to help! I get up early everyday to study and try to do so for a few hours. Back in 2004 I was studying for another test and managed to pull all the fibers in my neck from leaning over for so long without stretching or moving. Apparently I managed to do it again, but my neck could turn at least part of the way to the left, whereas last time I was pretty much immobile from the shoulders up. What does this translate into? Studying is bad for your health!

I sometimes get tired of people seeing me and deciding it's time to practice their English. Sure, it can be nice and flattering, and even enjoyable when they're good at it. Sometimes I just want to be left alone (I should start speaking Spanish or something, but just my luck they'd know that, too!) However, I was guilty of the same thing just this week. When I was new in Korea, I would speak to just about everyone who looked like they spoke English, and I met several friends that way. Now that I've been here a while, it's no longer necessary to talk to every round-eye. So when I saw an older gentleman on the subway, I decided to let this one slide. That is, until I sat down a few seats away and noticed that his newspaper was in French! Being that it was my minor in college, I spent a summer in France studying, and I've probably been schooled on and off in the language since Kindergarten, I was beyond excited! He was a missionary and has been in Korea since he was 32 (he's 55 now). He doesn't speak English nor has he ever been to America, but he told me my pronunciation was very good (given that I'm extremely rusty, I was flattered!). I asked about the French-speaking community in Korea, and he said it's pretty much slim to none. There were two French people in my Korean class, so reaching back to them might be a good idea. For a girl whose paternal and maternal ancestries have French peppered and poured into them, I've decided that after my May test, brushing up on my French is probably a good next endeavor.

Copyright 2005 Olivia R. Reed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home