Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Wipeout!

TV shopping is usually a big ordeal. In Korea? Doubtful! My friend Gus has managed to find a 20” TV for each Sally and me for less than $50, and delivery for less than $10. This includes remote control, cable-ready, DVD hookup, etc. As my dad says, "I love technology when it works!"

Probably much to the amusement of several of my friends, especially of the testosterone-dominated gender, there is a concert coming to town that Amy and I are trying to get tickets to. Who loves the backstreet boys? I don’t, I don’t! I like them, but I'm beyond my adolescent years when their posters would've been on my bedroom walls. But how funny would it be to see them in Korea with a bunch of 12 year old girls screaming—like they do at the SBS station outside my home every weekend? And it’s at Olympic Park—a good reason to check out yet another area of this large city. We will undoubtedly be the oldest women there without children, but we care not! Music we recognize in a place we don’t? Can’t beat it!

So the Lunar New Year is a big holiday here, bigger than Christmas, but not quite as big as their Thanksgiving. We will have our Monday classes rescheduled and enjoy having January 30th off of work. I’m trying to set up a trip to Hiroshima for that weekend to visit the second closest LSU alumn and friend I know, but it may be twice the price!

It’s been cold. Snow, freezing temperatures, you know how it goes. It’s made me rethink any complaining about Louisiana’s heat and humidity I’ve ever done—and I’d venture to say that I even miss sweating profusely and slaving my air-conditioner away. Well it snowed again this past Monday night, which was pretty, but that was the extent of thought I put into it. The next morning, I decided it wasn’t too miserably cold to walk to work, so I did. Wrapped up in ear warmers, a scarf, and a long coat, I set out to get to my Winter Intensive class by 930am. Not more than two blocks from my house, I successfully completed my first wipeout of the winter. While illegally crossing the street when the little red man on the sign said "Don't Walk," the ice got the best of my rubber-soled shoes and I landed completely flat on my rear end right in the middle of the road. I was imagining being pancaked by a fruit-carrying Hyundai, so I got back on my feet and scrambled to the sidewalk. It was painful to walk. I’ve always had a fear of breaking my tailbone, and I may have succeeded in just that. At least a crack. Unsure if I would need a hemorrhoid pillow to carry around with me for the next several months, I decided to go ahead and finish the walk to school, though in much pain, my rear end imprinted in black on the back of my red coat. Now, even when I sneeze, my butt hurts! What a morning!

Copyright 2005 Olivia R. Reed

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Liv this is Josh, if it is any consilation it is not any warmer in NYC and we do not have any snow so it just sucks.

Wed Jan 18, 03:43:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh Kaplan, I might add. Not any other Josh you may be thinking.

Wed Jan 18, 03:47:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home