Friday, April 28, 2006

Weathering away the blossoming cherries

Well the weather in Seoul is certainly changing. Some days are really nice, some are really dusty, some start out nice but is freezing by the evening, other days it’s freezing but comfortable by nightfall. Most days, though, my co-workers and students come into school talking about how hot it is outside. My concept of heat is completely different from theirs, but the ironic part about them thinking that it’s hot is that, certainly in Louisiana when it’s what we call “hot,” no one would be WEARING A JACKET!

This past weekend I decided to break out the romantic bone in my body and surprise Sam with a picnic. I met him at the train station, packed lunch in tow, and gave him no clue where we were headed. Outside of Yeouinaru station is where the well-located park is to see the Han River, the famed 63 building— probably Seoul’s best landmark, and my favorite part that I’ve been waiting on: Cherry blossoms! (Did you know that the renowned flower in our nation’s capital is actually a gift from Japan? So it would make sense that they are equally beautiful here in Asia!) About 20 minutes on the subway and we exited where my little guidebook suggested. The park was on our left and the grass (despite being dry and mostly dead) and kite-flyers seemed to go on for ages. The scenery was great and the weather was a little cool and breezy—just right. There were dogs, small children waddling behind parents and playing ball, bikers, and people generally relaxing and having a good time. What there weren’t any of? Cherry blossoms! By now, they’ve all blown away. The lights in the trees were still set up for the evening “show,” but there’s nothing left to show! I wasn’t aware that they’re only around for a week or two, but they go whatever way the wind blows, because when the weather gets a little crazy, it takes all the flowers off the trees! Bummer!

I am currently attempting to plan a vacation, much to the chagrin of my boss and assistant director. It’s funny because when I go down to Busan on the weekends, it’s about 2.5 hours by train, and I’m going from one end of the country to the other. In the US, even a faster way to travel would take, at a minimum, twice as long. So the Korean work ethic coupled with small land area equals the inability to understand why someone needs a vacation, much less for the 7 days allotted in their contract. Anyone have suggestions on Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Thailand, or anywhere else that they’d like to share? My list of interests is endless, but my calendar and budget are not...

Speaking of budgets, I have managed to save almost the majority of my paycheck each month since I’ve been here. I kept it all in my checking account here and have been waiting for a good time to transfer it home. A few months ago it would have cost me $750 to send money back. But, for those of you who know how I feel about our president and our international reputation, I’m actually giving the negative parts of that some credit (tongue-in-cheek though it may be). Because of the smarts in our administration and the rest of the world wanting and working to be what America “is”, the value of the dollar against the Korean won is at its lowest since the late 90s. I didn’t have to get political to proclaim this, but I made several hundred bucks transferring money home rather than losing what I thought I would! And so, though I’m sure mistakes made already and those to come will more than recollect anything I think I’ve come out ahead on, I’m currently quite pleased with the benefits given me now.


Copyright 2006 Olivia R. Reed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home