Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Getting Acquainted

It costs in excess of 700G's (that's American dollars, not Korean won-- just FYI, the currency exchange is roughly 1000won per 1 US dollar. Translation: I'm making millions here! ;o) to open a franchise of this school. The director of the school that just opened (where Andy, Shem and I will be teaching) is 37 years old. This makes him a BALLER! He came down to headquarters yesterday to meet his new teachers (assuming we all pass training) and discuss our contracts. He has managed to get his CPA in the States, but "doesn't speak berry good aangleesh." Translation: he's a businessman who's all about the numbers. Anyway, that's cool with me. I thought he was nice and he tried very hard to talk to us and ask questions. I thought meeting the director was exciting and of course I was my normal, chatty self. The other 2 guys were petrified. There are 5 kinds of relationships in Korea, only one of which is horizontal and it's between friends. Every other connection has a superior party. These 2 sorta freaked to meet someone of such importance. He's gonna be our boss, might as well be on good terms!

One thing I've noticed here is that there aren't any trashcans. Now, you'd think a city of 12million people has something to chunk every now and then. Nope, not so much. They keep/recycle/don't throw apparently. It's a search any time I'm eating on the go and have to toss my remains. Seems like it could be a million dollar idea here to put a garbage receptacle on a street corner every few blocks.

Another thing... cop cars. I don't like the "p" word, but it's the first that comes to mind when I see these compact blue and white law enforcement mobiles. Who respects a man in a corolla?

As some of you know, my training started yesterday. As cheesy as it often is, everyone introduced themselves and said where they're from. I AM THE ONLY SOUTHERNER! The closest one who could be considered a fellow Dixie pal moved from Knoxville 13 years ago. I'm also the only white girl. There are other women and there are other white people, but I'm the lone, pale, chick ranger. Plenty of Korean-Americans, Canadians (Smitty-- not the kind you're thinking of), and a few stragglers from elsewhere. It's funny because all of a sudden, I have this bursting southern pride. I've found myself having to tell people that no, Louisiana is not proud to claim Britney Spears (Tim McGraw on the other hand... phew! different story!), but yes, it is this hot and humid there-- in fact, La is probably more intense than the weather here. Yes Mardi Gras is everything you've heard and yes many Louisianians get the heck outta dodge the entire week. No we don't have pet alligators and get to school on pirogues and yes, yes, most definitely yes, we are the National Champions. Got Trophy?

As far as the academic side of training, these people don't mess around. South Korea doesn't have the natural resources of their northern neighbor, so they take pride and great labor in the education of their people because they believe it's the only way they can compete with US, Japan, China, etc. or get ahead. Since the country split, the GDP of the southern part is 14x that of North Korea (may have something to do with those guys being busy making nukes and pissing off the rest of the world, but nonetheless). Class is serious business. It was jampacked info the whole time we were in class and the tests aren't to be blown off or not prepared for. They were amazed that no one had questions, but it's because we were busy making notes on the last 4 minutes of things they said. We have a test later this week and then a few more next week. This nerd has already bought notecards and arranged a study group. The school wants us to be able to answer any "why" question a child might have. So in order to do that, we have to know and be able to conjugate he 12 active voice verb tenses and the 8 passive voice ones, know exceptions and rules, etc. We truly take for granted that our native tongue is one of the most difficult languages to learn!

I've met a few new people and found out that I'll be teaching in Gangseo-Gu area, which is West of the city center and right on the river! I'm still trying new foods (American food is hella expensive-- Pizza Hut is $36! No worries, I didn't get one, but I had to check) and learning the ropes. Starting to miss my friends more, especially since the phone card is such an ordeal. Should all be a lot more settled week after next!


Copyright 2005 Olivia R. Reed

2 Comments:

Blogger Jacques said...

I love the P-word.

Thu Aug 18, 10:20:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This shit sounds pretty dame serious Livvy! You are the bomb and I wish I could see what goes on in your average day. Give em hell Southern girl! Miss you much and I look forward to your posts everyday! love ya

Thu Aug 18, 11:47:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home